Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) is a U.S. policy that offers certain protections and benefits to individuals who were brought illegally into the United States as children. In addition to allowing eligible individuals to obtain lawful work authorization, driver’s licenses, and Social Security numbers, DACA permits a request for deferred action of removal for a period of two years, subject to renewal.
At Parikh Law Group, LLC, our experienced DACA attorneys will help you define and understand your rights under the program. And we will work tirelessly to defend those rights. Our immigration team will review your unique situation, work to resolve any potential issues, and assist you with the initial filing and renewal process. Contact a Chicago DACA lawyer today to determine how to proceed.
DACA Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible to apply for DACA, you must meet certain requirements. These include:
- You must have entered the U.S. before the age of 16;
- You must have been under the age of 31 when the policy was imple-mented on June 15, 2012;
- You must have continuously resided in the U.S. since June 15, 2007;
- You must be physically present in the U.S. when making the DACA re-quest;
- You must not have held lawful immigration status prior to June 15, 2012;
- You must currently be in school, or have graduated from high school, obtained a GED, or been honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces;
- You must have no convictions for a felony or serious misdemeanor, and no more than two minor misdemeanor convictions; and
- You must not be a threat to public safety or national security.
DACA Policy Changes
The DACA policy has been under intense scrutiny in recent years, but courts have acknowledged that discontinuing the program would result in extreme hardship for those who have come to rely on its deferred removal policy. Protections for new applicants, however, have been put on hold.
Although the Department of Homeland Security continues to accept initial DACA applications and renewal requests, along with associated requests for work permits, they are currently only able to grant renewals. At Parikh Law Group, LLC we are hopeful that the government will soon revise this policy, allowing the granting of initial requests to resume.
Contact a Chicago DACA Lawyer Today
In general, U.S. immigration policies are complex and constantly evolving. Without the help of a skilled immigration attorney, your ability to come to or remain in the U.S. could be at risk. Whatever your immigration needs, the skilled legal team at Parikh Law Group, LLC can help. We understand the unique challenges faced by immigrants to the U.S., and we take great pride in advocating for your rights and best interests. Whether you’re applying for a work visa, facing deportation, adjusting status to permanent residency, or requesting a DACA renewal, we can help. Contact us today for a confidential consultation about your case.